Treatments for curly hair
Hair treatments are an optional step in the Curlsmith Method. They are specialized products that target particular hair concerns, and should therefore be added to your routine as and when depending on your needs. There are many types of curly hair treatments, and all of them have different textures, usage instructions and benefits.
Why is it important to treat curly hair?
Curly hair is particularly needy and demands extra care and attention. Treatments aren’t mandatory every single wash day, but they are very useful to give an extra boost every now and then to keep your hair balanced and healthy. They can target all sorts of needs, from scalp health, to hair growth, to strand repair and nourishment.
What type of curl treatments can you do?
Treatments can be categorized depending on their usage instructions.
- Pre-shampoo treatments (also known as pre-poo) are used before your shower and then washed off with your shampoo and conditioner. They can be nourishing like our Serum, detangling like our Primer or strengthening like our Bond Curl.
- Scalp treatments are daily solutions to nourish your follicles and support healthy hair growth. They can come in a serum format, like our Booster and Elixir, or in a supplement format, like our 30-day therapy. Or they can be a full clarifying routine, like our Detox Kit.
- Finishing treatments are used at the end of your wash routine, and in between wash days. They are nourishing formulas that seal in moisture and protect your strands. They can come in a butter format, like our Serum, or in a lighter texture like our Bonding Oil.
How do you introduce treatment into your wash routine?
Every treatment is different and has specific usage instructions. Some are to be used daily, some weekly, and some monthly. Make sure you follow the directions on the product label to keep your protein moisture balance and avoid incurring in conditions like protein overload or moisture overload.
Choosing your treatment based on your curly hair needs
An easy way to find out if a treatment is right for you is to understand what kind of hair need does it address. Our treatments are divided in colour-coded recipes which make it super easy to navigate:
- Moisture: if your hair is dry and dull, check out our Moisture Recipes with the orange band to quench its thirst.
- Strength & Repair: if your hair is damaged, weak, bleached or full of split ends, look at the purple Strength Recipes.
- Scalp care: if you want to nourish and stimulate your follicles, to encourage healthy growth, the turquoise Scalp Recipes are what you need
- Shine: if you want extra glossy hair, the golden Shine Recipes will help you out.
The Curlsmith range
The right routine can make or break your hair health. Understanding what your curls crave is key to creating the perfect routine to address all their needs.